From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Mar 1999 00:20:34 -0500
All I can say about the person who thinks that allergies aren't much of
problem is that person is very lucky to have ones so mild.  I know friends
who had no choice to give up pets because they or family members kept
winding up hospitalized.  Yes, there are a few people who turn out to be
allergic to ferrets, but there are also a lot who don't.  It doesn't seem
to be a very common difficulty.  One interesting variant is that there seem
to be some people who are allergic to the whole males but not at all to
other ferrets.  After I mentioned that Steve has this problem we heard from
around a half dozen others who noticed the same thing.  It's also possible
to be allergic to the shampoo or perfume used, the litter used, an oil
used, etc.  but be fine with the critters themselves once they are clean of
those items.

Oh, while we are speaking of lungs, this is long while away as an offered
treatment, but since Lisette mentioned treating a ferret with breathing
difficulties I thought folks might want to know that there is a very
interesting article on some research into perfluorocarbon treatments being
tested by pulminologists for helping damaged lungs.  It's on pages 40 and
41 of the Feb. issue of Sci. Am.

About yesterday's post.  I did goof, but I assure you that I know somewhere
in this thick skull that the show on which I saw the unusual sighting is
Veronica's Closet.  Victoria's Secret is the place I wish I could call to
order the clothes worn on Veronica's Closet.  (Hey, you knew that!)

Skyla, since you have a copy of "Ferrets Usa" around could you tell those
of us who don't want to put any money in to that publisher's pockets till
things straighten out just who had ads in recently (and contact info if
present)?  It sure would be appreciated.

When 'Choppie had early cardiomyopathy we found an excellent sitter who was
up to the challenge by asking at the veterinary hospital we use.  One thing
to always remember when going away: Give a "permission to treat" letter to
your vet and a copy to your sitter!