From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Mar 1999 06:35:43 -0800
Hello all FMLer's.
after reading a post from ed I felt a strong anger building inside of me..
Okay I understand when you are adopting a ferret or for that matter any
beloved animal you dont really know who you are giving them to..so yes I
understand you must be quite careful but sheesh some of the requirments
are kind of strong dont you think?  I own three beloved ferrets and I didnt
know one single thing when I found my first one that was dumped in a cage
on a cold wet December morning out by the front door where I worked..Okay
so I didnt know anything at all about ferrets but I did know he needed food
water a warm place to live ..  I bought a book on ferrets read up on them
and got to understand them I did take him to the vets the very next day and
he got his shots and I was told me was malnurished and mistreated..so my
job was to be a mommy to him and I must say I am taking very good care of
him..he is 5-6 years young and very healthy..I think you are being overly
paranoid and cautious when you interview an intended ferret adopter..Any
one that really wants a pet must first learn all about them and commit to
their health and safety but sheesh I would fail if I was to adopt from your
shelter..I dont have the luxurary of the ferrets having their own room and
I smoke but never near them not even in the same room the door is closed
where they are..  I do agree that children under a certain age are not a
good idea when you own a ferret..You do have some very good points but some
are way overly paranoid..sorry if I am hurting your feelings but I am
entitled to my own point of view and alot of other people who are trying to
adopt from your shelter feel the very same way I do...

I am also going to say forcing people to read a book first and then take
lessons how to handle a ferret etc is a bit exteme and I for one would be
insulted and not adopt any ferret at your shelter..Like I said I understand
you must have rules and see that the person wanting to adopt a ferret
understands how to take care of them and understand them but no one is
perfect including you..  There is no *one*right way to love and take care
of ferrets..everyone is unique..does that mean if I dont handle the ferret
exactly as you do I am a bad ferret owner or irresponsible because I love
them differently then you do??Your rules are almost like Russia and I am
sorry I will NOT go to your shelter if I ever want to adopt..  The one I
adopted two from last year made sure I was who I said I was and I had to
prove the landloard allowed ferrets there and that I understood I had to
take them to the vets within a week and then send her a copy of the exam
and shots they received but I wan never told I had to read a book and then
take lessons on how to love and handle them...I spent over three hours
there and she knew by the time I made my mind up to adopt the two brothers
I was a good ferret owner..you can see by how I was with them you cant fake
loving an animal for that long..

[MR]