From:
Shelley Knudsen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Mar 1999 04:02:36 -0600
Hello!

I would just like to add another alternative to Lysodren and Lupron for
those who do not like the side effects of Lysodren, or the expense of
Lupron.  Ovaban is readily available to almost all vets and is very
inexpensive.  The pros of Ovaban are that the ferret being treated will
usually grow back all of their hair, have a normal appetite and activity
level, and basically will show no symptoms of adrenal disease.  There are
also almost no short term side effects.  The cons are that there has been
no proof that Ovaban does anything to stop the growth of the tumor, and
very long term extended use may cause high blood sugar in a ferret.  If
someone out there had a vet with an ultrasound who could track the process
of a tumor in a ferret on ovaban, I would love to know of the results.
However, most ferrets on ovaban will go 1-2 years before adrenal symptoms
will start showing up again, which is very comparable to Lysodren and
Lupron.  The way I give it is to take 1/4 of a tablet, crush it up with the
bottom of the pill bottle, mix in a little linatone, and the ferret will
lick it right up.  I still advocate surgery as the first defense, but when
that is no longer an option, ovaban is a pretty good backup.

Hope this might help someone!

Dooks and kisses to your fuzzies,
Shelley Knudsen
Legion of Superferrets of Nebraska Ferret Shelter
[log in to unmask]    http://www.tcgcs.com/~ferrets
402-463-0190   402-461-6541

To see how you can help raise money for our
shelter without spending a penny, please visit:
http://www.igive.com/html/ssi.cfm?CID=1456&MID=4888