From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Mar 1999 10:38:29 EST
Hello again,

Ok, now I am confused....I have been breeding show rabbits for almost 20
yrs and we always refer to line breeding (mother to son, father to
daughter, grandfather to grandaughter, etc...) as an exceptable way of
improving your lines Some of my best bunnies were produced through line
breeding.

Inbreeding is referred to breeding siblings (sister/brother breedings).
This is were your genetics come in in the best or worse way.  Why is it
with Ferrets that what rabbit people refer to as line breeding
"INBREEDING", it doesn't make sense.  If you breed two totally seperate
lines, you have no clue to what u are gonna get.  By knowing your lines,
personality, colors, etc... u do know what your potential is.  I can see
where one would not want to experiment with inbreeding in Ferrets, as one
does not cull Ferrets like a rabbit breeders cull bunnies.  Yes, we eat
meat in our home and it does include rabbit meat.  I also make my ducksoup
out of rabbit meat for the fuzzies and they love it.  In case u don't know
rabbit meat is a lot higher in protein as chicken or beef, and has less fat
then chicken or beef.  It is an all around better source of food for not
only humans but Ferrets as well.  Could someone clarify why "INBREEDING"
can mean two different things in two different animals???

Confused Fuzzy mom