From:
Peter Flanagan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Mar 1999 12:55:37 EST
Hi all,

Lately everyone has been talking about what kinds of things they do to
keep their ferrets entertained.  O.K. and them as well.  I have gotten
some great ideas from what everyone else has posted and have tried one
that works.  I couldn't believe it when I heard that ferrets liked water,
especially after giving my two their first baths.  Someone had talked about
"snorkeling for raisins", so I tried it out and Wylie loves it now.  It
took her a while to catch on but I took an old cake tin and filled it with
water (don't use cold water!) and dropped a few raisins into the water in
front of my two little girls (Winnie & Wylie).  Well it's true they all
have different personalities.  Winnie just kind of gave me "that look",
like you want me to do what?  But after showing Wylie a few times that the
raisins really were in the water by dropping them into the water in front
of her a few times, she picked up on it.  She stuck her head under the
water and really did start snorkeling!  With her head under, she felt
around the bottom of the tin with one of her feet (hands, paws?) until she
found a raisin and then came up for air with the raisin in her mouth, shook
the water off like a dog and then ran to her secret place where she eats
her treats in private.  This was repeated until all the raisins had been
devoured and much water splashed and tracked through the kitchen and living
room.  I had alot of fun watching and it couldn't have been too bad because
Wylie kept coming back for more.

Bob had made some great points about keeping their little minds active by
changing their environment as well as challenging them with new games but
my question was what kind of scent do you put on your ferrets toys?  You
mentioned Fox scent?  Red Fox (ha ha).  Does that scent make them more
aggressive?  Does it bring out some kind of latent hunting instinct that
would make them more aggressive?  Are these scents toxic in any way?

Good health to you & yours!

Pete