From:
"Michael F. Janke" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Mar 1999 22:15:53 -0500
>From:    "Tim C. Watson" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Max is back, no adrenal problem
>Max went in for what was going to be Adrenal Surgery as evidenced by the
>Univ. of Tenn. Adrenal Panel.  The results were as follows:
<snipped results>
>These results: [x] support clinical signs for presence of adrenal disease
>
>Anyway Dr. Werwa went in and basically found nothing wrong.

This is just my personal, non-medical opinion, but I sure wouldn't have
allowed my vet to come out empty handed... which is what it sounds like
happened here.  Why was the adrenal panel run in the first place?  What
were the adrenal disease symptoms that caused you to do this test for
further diagnosis?

A diseased, over-active adrenal gland isn't necessarily huge, have an
obvious external tumor or even noticeably larger than a normal gland.  My
Spaz had obvious adrenal symptoms.  Upon going in, our shelter vet looked
at the left, which appeared ok, then the right, which also appeared ok and
decided that the left looked a tiny bit larger.  Upon removal and
dissection of the left gland, the internal structure appeared to be that of
tumorous tissue (neoplastic?).  Spaz went from almost bald to a beautiful,
full coat a month or so after surgery so it was obviously the right choice.

I'd guess that our shelter vet has seen dozens upon dozens of adrenal
glands.  If he can have doubts that a gland is enlarged, what chance does
the average vet have, who doesn't do that many adrenals, of knowing a
imperceptibly enlarged gland from one that isn't?

Again, just a layman's opinion.

For the ferrets,
Mike

* Michael F. Janke, [log in to unmask]
* Secretary, South Florida Ferret Club & Rescue
* A 501(c)3 not-for-profit corporation
*
* Visit our shelter's web site:  http://www.miamiferret.org
* Visit the Adrenal/Insulinoma web site: http://www.miamiferret.org/FHC