From:
Sue Harding <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Mar 1999 10:36:59 -0500
Hi, I'm new to the FML.  Lisette asked for stories on how people got their
first ferret.  Mine is not quite so dramatic as hers, instead mine is about
a romance between two ferrets.

Back in November 1998 I decided that I wanted to adopt a ferret from a
shelter.  This lead me to Luv of Ferrets Shelter in Mass. and Jo Fowler
the amazing Shelter Mom ( I know you are reading this Jo, so feel free to
jump in and fill in the blanks here...).  While at the shelter I met
Abigail, a beautiful albino whirling dervish and fell in love with her.
At that time, I was thinking of only getting one, but talking with Jo
convinced me that two are always better than one and given my schedule,
two really were best.

Well, luckily for me Jo had another ferret named Caleb who played well
with Abigail and was the right age and temperment.  Great problem solved.
Here is where the love story comes in.  Both Abigail and Caleb were single
ferrets, who had never seen other ferrets before being in the shelter.
Caleb fell in love with Abigail at the shelter and could not bear to be
parted from her.  When I took Abigail home a week before I took Caleb home,
he lost half his body weight and was pathetic.  It took him 3 days to
regain his weight and energy enough to play with Abigail.  Of course it
didn't help that he gorged himself on food so much he made himself sick!
Now they are so happy together and act like an old married couple!  So that
is the story of how I got my first ferrets and I am looking for two more
unique ferrets to add to my growing family.  I wish I could find the man of
my dreams in less than 3 weeks the way Caleb found Abigail!