From:
John Rosloot <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 May 1999 15:39:54 -0600
My little man Sammy has been displaying odd symptoms occasionally for
several weeks now.  In early April I'd just gotten back from vacation and
noticed Sammy seemed unsteady on his feet.  His back legs seemed weak and
uncoordinated, and he fell over a couple of times.  Later he was lying on
the bed staring into space and shaking.  Soon after this he was drooling.
I immediately thought it might be insulinoma, and gave him a little honey
in case his blood sugar was crashing, followed by some protein to stabilize
him.  After this he seemed ok.  I also thought of poisoning, but couldn't
find anything Sammy might have gotten into.

I brought Sammy to the vet first thing the next morning (Saturday), but he
was no longer displaying symptoms so the vet said to bring him back Monday
for observation.  For the most part Sammy seemed fine for the rest of the
weekend.

I dropped Sammy off Monday morning, and he was drooling again after the car
ride, although he was walking around normally with no difficulty.  I should
mention that Sammy has drooled before on car rides; I think maybe he gets
car sick.  Plus there was the stress of another vet visit so soon after
Saturday's visit.

Anyway, the vet kept Sammy for two days, taking several blood sugar
readings, both fasting and non-fasting, and the reading never budged.  The
vet said it was on the low side of normal, but normal.  Would that rule out
insulinoma, or might Sammy have the disease and still go that long without
an episode?  I think the vet fasted Sammy for 8 or 10 hours the first day,
but his blood sugar stayed steady.

The vet also did a blood panel and urinalysis, which came back normal.  The
only thing that was unusual were on his x-rays.  Sammy has some calcium
along two of his vertebral joints.  The vet said this might cause pain or
impingement which could account for all Sammy's symptoms.  We happened to
have 3 sets of x-rays at 4 month intervals, and could see the calcium
advancing, bridging the vertebrae, and then maybe breaking.  I think the
vet mentioned ankylosing spondylitis or something.

Sammy had no symptoms for a week after I got him back.  The vet asked me to
limit Sammy's activity for a couple of weeks, especially with regards to
climbing, and see how he did.  He seemed to do well, with only occasional
unsteadiness in the back.  He drooled again on another car ride, but other
than that not much happened.  After that I gave him the run of the
livingroom and bedroom again.  He sometimes seems a little unsteady, but
most of the time he's ok.

This morning though Sammy had a bad attack.  He was having obvious trouble
walking.  A little while later he was lying on the bed drooling.  I put him
to bed in the kitchen, and a few minutes later he was on the floor
retching, drooling, and foaming at the mouth.  I cleaned him up and put
him back in bed.  1/2 hour later he seemed fine again.

I'm really worried.  Might it still be insulinoma?  The blood sugar tests
were good, and the vet had Sammy open in August to remove a blockage; at
that time he said his organs looked healthy.  It almost seems like
poisoning, but several times in the past 6 weeks?  I can't find anything he
might be getting into.  Or is it a spinal problem?  If so, is Sammy going
to have these awful attacks for the rest of his life?  I'm hoping he still
has several good years ahead; he only turned 5 a couple of days ago.

The vet could only suggest I keep a record of his attacks; Sammy hasn't had
any attacks while at the vet (of course).

Can anyone shed any light or offer any advice?

--
John Rosloot, Caregiver to Cassidy and Sammy
With loving memories of my dear departed Buddy