From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Apr 1999 18:15:42 -0400
To Connie: If your ferret scratches to the point that there are visible
lesions on the skin, I would discuss two possibilities with your vet:
sarcoptic mange, and allergies.  I have seen a few cases of both and both
are treatable.

To Georgette: A noticeable thickening of the stomach on a standard x-ray
can mean many things, but if Felicia has had a lymph node biopsy that
confirms lymphoma, the only thing Miranda needs to concentrate on is her
medical options for treating it.  Without a biopsy, however, there is no
diagnosis.

To Leigh: I have heard of other vets using Pancreazyme in ferrets, but
I admit it doesn't make much sense to me.  It is a product meant to
supplement animals with inadequate production of pancreatic digestive
enzymes (this has nothing to do with insulinomas which involve different
pancreatic cells).  Unless ECE, an intestinal blockage, or other diseases
some how diminish the pancreass' ability to make those enzymes (which I
have never heard described in ferrets), it shouldn't work.  A good question
for a pathologist like Dr. Williams.  But if Pancreazyme works for you, I'm
all for it...