From:
Marie Wallace <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Apr 1999 00:47:01 EDT
Dear Josie:
I for one would like to apologize.  You are absolutely right.  Speaking for
myself, more often than not I simply assumed (until today) that, cries for
help were answered by other FMLers through either a public post via this
forum or through a more personal e-mail reply.  Please forgive me?

As for Dumpy's inability to eat without coaxing, there are a couple of
possibilities here.

1.) He could have an abscessed or broken tooth.  This is treated with
Amoxi-drops for 10 day's but, surgical removal (given good health) is the
best cure.

2.) A little guy who came through our shelter (Franklin) had an E-Coli
bacteria in his throat and this stopped him from eating.  The bacteria was
eliminated with the administration of Clavamox 3X's a day for 10 day's.

3.) Has Dumpy been checked for helicobacter (a form of ulcer).
Helicobacter is treated with Amoxi-drops for 4 - 6 weeks depending on
your Vet.

4.) Last but never least, our fuzzy babies develop an addiction to one of
the most powerful drugs known to man and animal alike called, Love.  I have
known many a baby to fain an illness so as to insure their fair share of
attention yet, I don't feel this to be Dumpy's problem given the weak hind
quarters which is very characteristic of Insulinoma.

Try this web site
http://www.miamiferret.org/FHC/
although I have not had cause yet (knock on wood) to use it, I do
understand it to be one of the most concise sites to date for the
treatment of insulinomic fuzzies.

Good Luck with Dumpy Josie and Thank You for teaching (at the very least)
one, somewhat humbler FMLer a valuable lesson.

FOOTNOTE: There has never been a documented case of a ferret overdosing on
Love.