From:
Lori Christian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Apr 1999 21:27:47 +0000
Almost lost Wilbur today to a severe reaction to Fervac-D distemper
vaccine.  Reaction occurred more than an hour after vaccine.  Vomiting,
bloody diarrhea, and at one point - en route back to the vet - he stopped
breathing.  Practiced ferret mouth-to-mouth and was able to revive him.
Vet treated him with injected diphenhydramine and delta cortef (a steroid?)
and he recovered quickly and apparently thoroughly.  When we got back home
he ate a bunch, drank a bunch, and curled up for a nap.  He's sleeping
quite peacefully.  We, of course, are wrecked, now that the adrenaline has
worn off, and are checking him constantly.

MoJo also had distemper vaccine.  No adverse reaction at all.  None.  Zero,
zip, zilch.

I'm off to search the archives for advice on whether or not to vaccinate in
the future.  I would appreciate any input from you wise and wonderful
ferret people!

-Lo
I'm my ferrets' mom

[PS at 22:15:17]

Should probably clarify that we gave both ferrets pediatric benadryl 1/2
hour before distemper vaccine.

And Wilbur is up and playing and stashing food and nipping toes like
nothing ever happened now - 4 hours post reaction.  Ferret powers of
recovery amaze me.

-Lo