From:
Bob Church <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Apr 1999 17:41:41 -0500
Q:"I'm very confused.  I got [my ferret] at 8 weeks of age...I have never
been able to entice, trick, beg, or in any other form get her to eat meat
of any kind."

A: Well, even kibble has meat of *some* kind....

Welcome to the olfactory zone.  Ferrets, like most mustelids, have a very
short period of time where they "imprint" on food.  This is because ferrets
use their noses for hunting in much the same way a cat uses their eyes.
Ferrets are scent hunters, which is why they have such a big nose compared
to cats, with their itty-bitty Bugs Bunny noses.

By the time a ferret is 3 to 6 months old, they have been imprinted on the
foods they will be eating for the rest of their life.  After that time, and
especially after a year of age, it is extremely difficult to get a ferret
to eat anything new.  Some are so imprinted, they will only eat a specific
kind of kibble, and will starve themselves if it is unavailable.

There may not be anything you can do to change the ferret's mind.  I
suggest, if your ferret is healthy, to mix a little honey or nutrical with
some chicken baby food, put some on you finger, and rub it on their front
teeth.  You might have to do this several times before they catch on, so
don't try once or twice and give up.  Be a hardheaded as the little monkeys
and keep trying.  Sooner or later, they will start eating it.