From:
Date:
Mon, 12 Apr 1999 20:29:13 -0700
>From:    Edward Lipinski Ferrets NorthWest FNW <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Mustela gigantus? (The Monster Giant Ferret)

>Am deeply interested in ferreting out information relating to the term:
>                        demigigous.

"Demi Gigas" was the name of a ferret belonging to Doug McKay in Ohio.  He
called the descendants of that particular ferret his "Demi Gigas line".
This is NOT an invitation to bash Doug, I bring up his name to answer the
specific question.

We have a few relatives of the original Demi Gigas including our Genghis
Khan who's picture is on our web site.

http://www.zenferret.com/images/afa5ck2.jpg

Quite a few breeders do as the lines from Demi Gigas are probably the best
thing Doug ever did with ferrets.

Several breeders have started abusing the term as if it was a breed of
ferret rather than just one particuarly large and wonderfully sweet sable
hob.  I believe a breeder in Oregon is one who abuses the name.  It's
pretty obvious that it is abusing the name when they can't even spell it
correctly.  (I don't mean you Ed - since you didn't know the correct
spelling until now.)

There is no crossing of ferrets to ANY other species.  None.  But yes some
of the boys in these lines can get pretty darned big!  Solid stocky
builds.  Broad shapely faces.  Normally sable points or standards.
Extremely wonderful personalities.

The original Demi Gigas was born in 1990.  I do not know his fate.

I have a fair bit of the pedigrees of the "Demi Gigas line" in my records.
Demi's parents were Chipper and Emily.  One of Demi's sons was Demi Gigas
I.  His son in turn was Demi Gigas II.  And one of his son's was our
Genghis Khan.  If the person who got Cara Mia from Sally Heber is on the
list, she is a daughter of our Genghis.  Another of Demi II's sons was Demi
Gigas III.  He was the father of Van Halen who in turn was the father of
our Belgutai.  Belgi was the father of our Cosmo who has been mentioned on
this list and Mary Todd Lincoln who has won at least one best in show for
some friends of ours.

Any more questions about Demi?

-bill

--