From:
Derek & Amy Flemming <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Apr 1999 23:27:01 -0400
Hi all!

Just an update on the post I made about the Public Health Veterinarian
Coalation Committee's Year 2000 plans for the ferret.

Thanks you to all that have taken a concern over this!  This includes Sukie
Crandall, Alicia Drakiotes, Dr. Deborah W. Kemmerer, Mike Dutton (who has
offered to write new material for the web site), and many others!

Thank you Sukie (and anyone else that did) for sending a copy of my post to
the AFA - I cc'ed them as well. =)  Here is the response from them.

  "Dear Friends and Colleagues:

  Thank you for bringing this topic to the American Ferret Association's
  attention.  The item below is an Objective from a federal/state/private
  sector program called "Healthy People 2000" which sets decade-long public
  health goals for the nation.  It is an effort that is initiated by the
  federal government (probably in the case of the Objective below, the
  CDC.) The Objective is old (from 1990) and is in the process of being
  either deleted or revised for HP 2010, which the federal agencies are
  currently working on.  The AFA has directly addressed the subparts of
  this old Objective over the past 5 - 8 years, and successfully modified
  its implementation.  Thus, the issues raised have either been completed
  or are no longer valid.

  It will, however, be important to monitor the new HP 2010 Objectives (I
  am working on a chapter for this document as we speak) to ensure that
  ferrets are addressed more moderately in the next Draft document.  The
  AFA should convene a working group to do this.

  I would invite interested parties to contact me or Pat Stauffer.

  Freddie Ann Hoffman, MD
     Vice President"

Amy Flemming

Flemming Farms - Michigan, USA
Breeding for Quality Ferrets
American, Australian, German, and New Zealand bloodlines
Come see us at http://www.geocities.com/heartland/ranch/9521

Weasel Watchers Ferret Rescue - Michigan, USA
Helping Needy Weasels
Come see us at http://www.geocities.com/petsburgh/zoo/2690

"For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism"