From:
june batz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Apr 1999 05:12:53 -0700
I have a web tv, spam is virtually nil, UNTIL I joined the fml, now I am
getting 2 to 3 a day..I know we have touched on this before, and I know
Bill you cant really do anything about it, but instead of it getting better
it has gotten worse..what do other people do to handle this?  There is some
junk that say if you would like to be removed blah blahblah blah...SO i
type in remove in 18 different languages and the post office still bounces
it back to me..no matter what I do!!  any advice or should I just accept it?

June

[Moderator's note: Spam seems to be getting worse everywhere.  I easily
get a dozen a day at my AOL accounts and I've *never* even posted to a
mailing list (or to usenet) from those accounts!

Please note that I don't give the subscriber list to *anyone*, but, of
course, since you have posted there is a chance people could get your
address from the archives.  But even the archives aren't easy to find:
I don't index them in search engines nor have a pointer to them on our
LISTSERV site.  Other people's ferret-related web pages may have pointers
to the archives though.

Anyhow, short of making the archives available only to subscribers, you
are right: there's not much that I can do to stop it.  Do people feel the
archives should be restricted?

I do have one piece of advice: never attempt to respond to the "in order to
be removed from future junk mailings, respond here" trick.  All this does
is validate that you have a working email address and actually read the
junk.  It's an excellent way to be sure you get even more spam!  BIG]