From:
"Michael W. Landis" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Apr 1999 16:38:00 -0400
Just some notes on my previous ferret experiences:

My first ferret, Krysta, had his left adrenal gland removed on February 11
this year.  I spent about 24 hours straight reading up on the condition
before his preliminary vet appointment.  Sources were "Biology And Diseases
Of The Ferret, 2nd ed.", the FML archives, and the medical FAQ's on ferret
central.  My sister actually worked at the clinic where the surgery was
done and informed me as to who the resident ferret expert was.

Total cost: $220...$64 of that went towards the optional biopsy.  I KNEW
without a doubt that his problem was adrenal after my research.  The vet
agreed with me...and no unnecessary blood tests were done.  I dropped him
off at noon on Feb 11 and picked him up at about 315 pm the same day.  As
of March 11 you could not tell that he was the same ferret.  Hair
completely grown back in...tons more energy...my loving boy IS BACK!  How
long had I suspected his adrenal problem before taking him in to the
vet?...about a week.

[continued...]
Let me say this now.  I am certain that the quick action of getting him
to the vet and having his surgery done within 2 weeks of suspecting it
attributed to his quick recovery...and the fact that the biopsy results
were so great.  It turs out that his left adrenal was like a rotten orange
with the peel still intact...tumor completely contained within a shell of
healthy tissue.

IF IN DOUBT, TAKE YOUR FERRET TO THE VET IMMEDIATELY.  Take a day or two
and RESEARCH, but get those little guys in for a vet visit ASAP.I took
pride in the fact that I knew almost as much as the vet when we talked over
the disease and the surgery...and as a result I was almost worry-free about
the whole ordeal.