Date:
Sat, 27 Mar 1999 06:38:39 -0500
I feel compelled to add my 2 cents worth regarding children and pets.  I
have three children (ages 10, 8, and 6) and we have had pets since they
were infants.  My children have been taught to handle all animals as gently
as one would handle a butterfly!  My children were taught about animals
before they were taught anything else!  My children don't waken sleeping
animals, startle, tease, shout, or strike any animal.  Teaching children
about animals at a young age teaches them to love, protect, nurture, think,
be compassionate, etc.  Not only do I harp about daily care but we talk
about how pets are FOREVER!  WHen we adopt a pet, it is for the life of the
pet... not until the pet is no longer "cute" or caring for it has become a
burden.  Last year our guinea pig died at the ripe old age of 5.  One of
our cats is 11 years old, one is 8 and the other two are 3 years old.  The
other day my daughter confided in me, very sadly, that her friend said she
doesn't like her cat anymore because it's no longer a kitten--- my daughter
said, "That is so stupid!  I love our animals more every day because they
teach me something new everyday!"

Gracie is our first ferret.  I knew NOTHING about ferrets until the other
day (although I still have alot to learn!).  At first I thought I adopted
her... now I know that I rescued her!  The people that had her before
obviously imprisoned her.  With me she has run of the livingroom, goes for
walks, is constantly held, kissed, given attention, etc.  Already I see a
different ferret than the one I brought home.  The one I brought home was
shy, timid and even somewhat lethargic.  Now she is anxious to see me,
seeks out people for attention, is inquistive, alert, and affectionate.  I
spent the other day on my hands and knees (and belly) covering the bottom
of the stove, fridge, entertainment center, computer desk (where there are
cords).  I have bought her vitamins, Ferretone, toys, raisins, treats, a
collar with a bell.  She wasn't trained to drink out of a bottle until I
bought one for her yesterday!  She is being litterbox trained and she has
run of the livingroom until she passes out from exhaustion.  She gets to go
for walks on her leash/harness.  My point is, just because I didn't know
anything about ferts *last* weekend does not mean that I can't or am not
willing to learn.  If anyone knows anything about me at all, it's my love
for animals!  My pets aren't just pets, they are members of our family...
to be treated with love, respect and dignity.  I would be greatly offended
if someone assumed that because I had never before shared my life with a
particular animal that I would be an unsuitable care-taker.

Lovin' my Gracie  sooooo much,
Renee