From:
Barbara Gustafson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Mar 1999 19:51:28 -0700
We lost one of our rescues today.  Its so hard when this happens, especially
to one so young.  Baby Hannah was only 8 months old and so full of life.
We felt honored that we were chosen to give her a new lease on life, but I
guess it wasn't meant to be.  Hannah, like several other fosters here,
caught the flu and within just a few hours she went from feeling sick to
critically sick.  She was rushed to the vets this evening but they were not
able to save her.  Dr Kwantes, one of our shelter vets tried everything in
his power to save Hannah but she just wasn't strong enough.

Our Director of Shelter Operations, Angie, is having a hard time.  Angie
was Hannah's foster mom and despite her firm intention not to, she was
falling in love with this little girl.  She is blaming herself for what
happened even though we all know that it isn't so.  We all second guess
ourselves when we loose a fert, its only natural.  Angie works tirelessly,
putting in many hours a week picking up surrenders, moving them into foster
care, interviewing and so on and so on.  She gives a little piece of
herself to every rescue she picks up, they are all her children.  We thank
whatever powers that be, every day, that she came to us.  We don't know
what we would do without her.

Angie does not subscribe to the FML, she knows about, but has never felt
the closeness and the special bond of the ferret community.  I think it
would comfort her to hear from some of you.  I hesitate to give you Angie's
e-mail address as it is her work address and we're all in a bit of trouble
at our real jobs for spending so much time on shelter business.  What can I
say it goes with the territory!  So if you want to pass your condolences on
to me, I'll make sure she gets them

Barb Gustafson
Alberta Ferret Society
President