From:
Ilena Ayala <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Mar 1999 21:34:02 -0500
Folks,
In the past few weeks I have gotten numerous unsolicited emails which I
know were the result of the senders 'harvesting' email addresses from the
FML because other listmembers were clearly cc'd.  (BIG you were copied on
several of them, so I know you are aware of this.)

I've gotten chain letters, (Sorry J., but I doubt the little girl with
cancer will be getting any $$ donated from the American Cancer Society-
looked like a chain letter to me!), 'cute' notes, hoax virus warnings,
newsletters I didn't ask for, etc.  On previous occaisions I've had people
send me a personal note about their ferret related wares.  (Hopefully none
of my recent increase in adult oriented spam is due to this-those blind
copy the other recipients, so I can't tell.  Why do they always seem to
think I'm a guy?!?  Sheesh!)

I've also in the past gotten 'extra' copies of updates on situations
regarding the ferret community.  Sometimes two or three copies.  When it's
urgent, and ferret related, it's understandable.  But in general I should
not have to ask to be removed from peoples private spam lists.  I shouldn't
be getting this stuff in the first place.

So I'm asking you all, for those who have done it in the past, and those
who might consider doing it in the future:
PLEASE DON'T SPAM YOUR FELLOW LIST SUBSCRIBERS.  Not on this list, and not
on any other list you might be on.

Thank you for your consideration,
Ilena Ayala (Scraping the spam off her laptop screen once again)

[Moderator's note: Yes, I do get quite a bit of such stuff from subscribers.
None are commerical posts -- they are posts from well-meaning people who
more often than not end up distributing hoaxes.  You are correct: the
"American Cancer Society will donate" story is a hoax, as are nearly all
of the virus warnings (HAPPY99 being a recent exception -- that's real).

I don't mind an occasional note from a subscriber, but it does bother me
when such things are sent to other subscribers without their permission.
I make sure that nobody gets the subscriber list -- you are all safe from
that.  But please consider other people's time and interests before you
send other posters unsolicited email.  Many people find that *very*
annoying.  I will unsubscribe people if I receive enough verifyable
complaints about sending unsolicited mail.   Thanks for understanding! BIG]