From:
Clare Sebok <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Mar 1999 17:46:15 -0500
Donna,
I am very allergic to our five ferrets, and I feel the same as you do--I
refuse to give them up.  The best thing you can do is to purchase a HEPA
air cleaner.  These are rather expensive (at least $150) but they really do
work.  Ideally, you should have one in the room where the ferrets live and
one next to your bed.  Vacuuming may increase your exposure to allergens.
Can you get someone else to do it?  If not, you could use a mask when you
vacuum, then turn the HEPA air cleaner on high, then leave the house for a
while to give the filter a chance to reduce the allergen level.  Spending
most of your time in the living room with the ferrets may be part of the
problem.  Could you keep the ferrets in a room without carpet?  We have to
do this, and I'm sure the allergen level in an uncarpeted room is much
lower.  Also, can someone else remove the pungent ferret bedding from the
cage and put it in the washer for you?  I can get a mild asthma attack just
from putting a load of ferret bedding in the washer.

I hope these suggestions help.  The most important thing is to get the HEPA
air cleaner.

Clare
(with mega-allergen-producers Buttercup, Bridgett, Jasmine, Bonnie, and
Charlie)