From:
Margaret Merchant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Mar 1999 01:51:54 -0600
Hey All,

Well, regardless of what others will attribute as to the motive for this
letter, I will clear things up in front.  Easily, forthright, and all that
jazz.  This letter is in response to Bob C.'s letter on using scents.  And
scents (ok couldn't resist that one) it seems he is getting harangued over
animal issues, thought I would add my two scents.  Especially since I
happen to agree with my once time friend.

I hate hunting, I hate anything to do with it.  It is a fact of life and it
will not go away.  It is morally objectionable to me.  HOWEVER, I will not
jump up and down on folks who do it, I won't turn away from them, and I
certainly see no point in jumping on anyone for using something for, in
my opinion, good when it is from something bad.  (Again my own personal
issues, I don't care what others think one way or the other.  Have some
very good hunter/gatherer types for friends).

Anyways, if you eat meat, or your beasties eat kibble or meat, you are
already buying into an industry that is unending.  Part of this is the
creation of scents for hunters or to train dogs with.  Fine.  It ain't
gonna go away and the little angels just love the stuff.  So use what you
can to excite them and play with them.

Just saw a special on the most wonderful and most successful breeding park
for large cats.  It is actually a rescue and tries to keep as natural an
atmosphere for the rescues.  They teach the cats to play safe with them,
give them lots of attention (including playing with big balls and human
contact).  They believe this is why they are more successful than any other
program in North America.  It is the mental stuff, even over physical.

Now, as for conditions.  I have seen some wonderfully graphic shows and
pics on the conditions of the animals for food industry in this country.
It is horrid and inhumane.  Sometimes being a consumer can make a
difference, if you are able to be a choosy consumer with meat products and
leathers.  I cannot do that here.  And as long as hunting is legal, there
will be scents available to the market.  If you want to change how the
animals are kept, don't stop at buying things or not.  Work on getting
legislation changed to improve housing conditions for animals under these
circumstances.  Most ranched animals aren't ranched at all, they are caged
their entire lives.  I don't like it, I used to be more able to keep track
of legislation and kept up petitions.

When I was most active in this, I considered going Vegan and not using any
animal products at all.  But I came down to two basic things, food for my
beasties and my horse saddles.  The best ones are leather, best for the
horse that is.  So I balanced all things out carefully in my mind with
these questions, would my consumerism affect the overall industry anyway?
Nope, so I with clear conscience decided to use products that were
available from other industries (leather from food animals and other oils
and such).  If a particular circumstance bothers me, I donate money and
time to it.  I don't think we can get rid of hunting, we can use something
the fuzzets love that comes out of the industry of hunting that makes them
happier and healtier, so why deprive them of something that can help so
well and not do something to change what it is we don't like, animal living
conditions.  BTW, there are synthetic scents available, but I would not
recommend them to anyone with chemical allergies.

And trust me, if anyone wants any strange scents, they can come by and give
William a squeeze.  Man oh man, he poofyed when I was watching a moving
tonight (City of Angels such a great movie) and it cleared the living
room.  Even my strongest incense didn't cover it.  Sigh.  I think it may
be embedded in my couch.

Oh well, my two scents.  I guess my opinion on a lot of topics recently
about additives etc is this, everything in moderation and please research
before you make an opinion.  Don't just take someone's word for it.
Trust me.  <EG>

love and hugs to all the ferts out there

Margaret and her Mob