Date:
Thu, 4 Mar 1999 14:07:38 +0000
I, like many of the readers of this FML get way behind on the reading.
But wanted to share some things on these two topics.

Snoring Ferrets
When I first heard Tinder snoring, I thought it was cute and adorable.  It
made her easier to find and I would enjoy watching and hearing this little
noise she made.  At the same time her energy level had dropped off and it
became apparent that something was wrong.  After doing a thorough check of
her body, we found a hard lump under her throat.  An x-ray revealed that
the lump was responsible for pushing poor Tinder's trachea way over to one
side and up causing the airway to be partially blocked and therefore
causing the snoring.  The lump was removed surgically and the snoring
stopped.  Now, I'm not saying that all the snoring ferrets out there are in
jeopardy but check their throat and neck areas carefully.... it could be
something other than just nocturnal noise.

Bath Free Zone (BFZ)
Yep, you read it right.  This house is a Bath Free Zone.  Showers daily
for the hoomans but ferrets are au naturel!  When my husband and I got our
first ferret we did the ferret bathing thing - at least once a month.  But
eventually we stopped because we saw no benefit to the act of bathing our
ferrets other than to appease our noses.  Now some of our ferrets have not
had a water bath in years and their coats are shiny and healthy and some
of them have silky, soft fur.  Their skin is pink and healthy looking.  No
dandruff or flaking problems.  The only exception is when someone rolls
into some stray poop and then there is no question about bathing.  And
then again, some only get the spot wash where necessary.  Bear, our only
"scented" female gets just as smelly right after a bath and so that really
did seem to defeat the purpose.  So, although some of you will disagree
with the BFZ attitude, my ferrets don't seem to mind it at all.  And that's
what counts.  Oh, and for the record, we stand 0 for 14 on any hairball
problems.

Betty and Her Blur Au Naturel Fur

To my ferts: I am witness to your unconditional love no matter how you feel
inside.  Thank you for teaching me that life isn't that hard after all.