Date:
Mon, 22 Mar 1999 15:13:09 -0800
Hi all..elle back again.  I was trying to cur down computer time so when my
'puter got fixed I didn't sigh up for all the lists I was on...missed you.
However after yesterday I am going to need some help!

I got a call from a friend of a friend in Washington...she works at a vets
and had a customer ask if they knew ferrets at all, that a neighbor had
just told her of 3 ferrets kept outside in a rabbit cage/hutch all year for
the past couple of years.

Evidentially the neighbor just had a child of his own and wanted to get rid
of the ferrets, who were described to the vets customer as total outside
animals and no trouble as long as they are kept caged all the time, they
were fed a good brand of cat food but had no socializing what so ever.

Kathy called me and I went up there yesterday..its sort of no-where
Washington (outside of Chehalis).

There were 3 beautiful girls in this muddy chicken wire cage with one
rabbit hutch sitting in the mud, it was stuffed with blankets.

Of course these girls are not litter trained or people social and the baby,
2 years old with the new name of Shy Violet is totally afraid of people as
she is a nipper and has never been handled.

Shy Violet (who had no name except nipper) is a sable..she may be 2, her
mom, Daisy, is a cinnamon about 3 who was neutered after a litter, and the
oldest, is a black eyed white named Daphne is about 5 according to the
former owner.  Daisy and Shy violet still have their anal glands and have
used them on the boys!  We were all surprised!

I was very surprised at how clean and beautiful these girls were..with
thick full coats of fur.  They have never been inside and do not know any
other animals so I am taking my time with the cats and other ferrets.

First comes litter training, and I have consulted the Ferret Central
website for excellent advise.  Right now the 3 are in a large rabbit cage
in the living room and I'm trying to see where they are going to poop so I
can put litter boxes everywhere.

They sure have different personalities than other ferrets I have known.
Daphne is very bold..I think she was an inside ferret at one time long ago
and knows cuddles.

Daisy and Shy Violet are very timid..violet goes in the tunnels behind the
couch and stays there, Daisy wants under the blanket on the couch and on
the lap.

I had also left the cage by my new large and excellent cage that Chris
Mathies obtained for me (It was a ferret cage or greenhouse..I got the
cage...of course I have had to get rid of my stove to find a place for it,
but who needs to cook (this is no joke)

As for my other kids, Angel Baby is getting older and had a bout of the
flu..she is still being force fet duck soup twice daily, and occasionally I
have to give her water also..am having a hard time keeping her weight
up..she is the total lap ferret and my best sweetie.

Bismarck and Whilhelm (Bissy and Willi) are the big old boys and love to
play with each other, although Willi also likes to live with my 7 year gold
gland daughter, where he is totally spoiled.

My kitten is almost a year old and still gets roughhoused by 1 lb Angel
Baby!!  Stormy does not know what to do with these new ferrets.

Amelia, the old lady bitch cat has no time for any of this stuff, let me
outside NOW.

elle in PDX