From:
diana ashton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Mar 1999 09:10:32 -0900
I was raised as a catholic and was told by my priest as a young child that
in the great circle of life, that our pets do not have souls and cannot
enter heaven.  This was also echoed by the nuns at the catholic school I
attended as an elementary school student.  As a steadfast supporter and
sympathizer of the 4 legged furry cause I found that particular statement
heartbreaking.  I see our God as a loving and merciful one and as we were
placed here as the caretakers of this world and all its inhabitants, the
idea that my fur children have no place in heaven was to say the least
distressing.  So after losing Roxie on Jan 1st and Maggie on the 16th,
Grandpa has very advanced insulinoma, 2 more with adrenal and one just
started treatment for insulinoma, and many senior fur children I decided
that I had to ask.

So at the compline service at St. Matthews the other night, after much
thought I asked Father Scott if there is a place in heaven for the
souls(and do animals have souls) of the pets that we love so much.  Without
even batting an eye he said to me "Why yes they do and plants as well.
Everything with life has a spirit and a soul." Show me I said.  In the book
of Matthew 10:29, "Are not 2 sparrows sold for a farthing? and one of them
shall not fall to the ground without your Father" Now look in the book of
Job 12 :7-10, But ask now the beasts and they shall teach thee; and the
fowls of the air, and they shall tell thee: Or speak to the earth and it
shall teach thee: and the fishes of the sea shall declare unto thee: Who
knoweth not in all these that the hand of the Lord hath wrought this?  In
whose hand is the soul of every living thing, and the breath of all
mankind.

For those of us who try to live by the Word of God, these words will be of
great comfort.  He also said he had heard once (and he thought it was from
Mark Twain but could be mistaken) that the souls of the pets we love do not
go right into heaven but would rather remain outside the gates and wait for
our arrival to pass through.  Could that be how tha Rainbow Bridge began?

Diana and The Ferret Farm