From:
Dick Bossart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Mar 1999 10:27:31 EST
>My own ferret Felix, who is by far the smartest, has a tendency to start
>licking us and then begins biting.

I had heard often that this was a method of grooming, but I have to admit I
had my doubts.  We've had lots of ferrets in our shelter who did the "lick,
lick, CHOMP." Since Freddie was dropped off though, I have to admit that
I'm fairly well convinced that it is a ferret grooming technique.

Freddie will climb up on my shoulder as start with my beard, first licking
it to get the hair to lie all in the same direction, then she goes all the
way down to the base of the hair and begin gently nipping and pulling as if
she were trying to remove parasites (no comments please), mats, and loose
undercoat.  She'll groom my beard then work around to the back of my neck
with the same actions.  Finally, she'll clean my ears, ending with nibbling
the edges and the earlobes.  Once satisfied that I've been properly
groomed, she'll curl up on my shoulder, flip her rear end over her head and
go to sleep.

I think the problem with the ones who nip or even bite too hard is that
they don't recognize where the hairs stop and the skin begins.  Not finding
a normal undercoat there, they assume that the skin is really a mat that
needs to come out.  Remember that the way the ferret's head is shaped and
their eyes set, they cannot see anything at the tip of their noses.  They
can't see what they are doing, only feel.  To them they probably feel that
it is a mat and do their best to properly groom you.  Fortunately for me,
Freddie has learned the difference and is very cautious; fortunate because
I get groomed at least once a day.

Dick B.
4 Li'l Paws Ferret Shelter