From:
Catherine Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Mar 1999 23:38:34 EST
Hi all.  Life "Behind The Zion Curtain" is actually calming down, but the
new job is keeping me very, very busy.  But it's rewarding, helping people.
Which is what I enjoy.  I apologize for the length of this, but I don't get
all long and sentimental that often, so maybe you guys will forgive
me..........

Several points, actually, that I would like to touch on.  First, to
Valentine's Mommy.  I firmly believe in animals having souls, so I'm sure
he is with you always.  Seriously.  See, I am a very religious person,
believe it or not.  Perverted humor and all, but I believe deeply in God
and my faith.

And to dear Suzy, whom I got to talk to at Margie's house.  I am so sorry
about your Daddy.  But know he'll be with you always in spirit.  So I'll
share a story.  (And, believe it or not, it connects with ferrets, so bear
with me.) My Daddy died when I was 8 years old on the freeway in St.  Louis
where he was on his way to work as head of nursing for Alexian Bros.
Hospital.  It was hard to lose him because I loved him so, but I always had
my rock of Gibraltar, my Grandpa, to look after me and my Mom.

I was as close to him as if he was my father, and feel blessed to have had
both of them.  When Grandpa passed away, I was living out here "Behind The
Zion Curtain" in Utah already.  I had gone home a few weeks before to
visit, with my older two children.  (Val was almost 4 and Andy almost 1
then) I got to spend time with him, and felt saddened by his deteriorated
health, and I knew he hated it, being helpless like that.  The morning he
passed away, I awoke from a sound sleep by hearing someone call my name,
LOUD!  I jumped up, and thought "God, that sounds like Gramps!" I checked,
and my ex was snoring away and was not a man to talk in his sleep.  Val and
Andy were sound asleep.  Besides, I KNEW that voice, and was covered in
goosebumps from hearing it.  I thought maybe I had a dream, and tried to
lay back down, but couldn't really rest.  I heard the phone ring about 30
minutes later and went down the hall to answer it crying, because I knew
what it was.  I was right.  At EXACTLY the time my Grandfather passed away,
was when I heard him call me.  I was and am convinced he came to say good
bye.  See, I am the only child of two only children.  Our family was and is
very, very small and close.

So, I believe that the ones we love who leave us are with us, not
necessarily as guardian Angels, but as guides and teachers in a sense.  I
get teased about "St.  Eugene" and the fact I've put Gramps on a pedestal
and he wasn't perfect.  But many of the Canonized saints weren't perfect
either.  (I believe there was only one perfect man on this world and they
put HIM on a cross.........) So, why wouldn't a beloved warm, bright soul
of a dear pet be with you as much as the beloved soul of someone you loved?

And we have friends that we have adopted into our tiny family, and love
them like family.  That's how Margie got the "bald squeak toy" (my little
sister the poodle).  See, Mom moved out to take care of Grandma, who is 91
and in frail health.  She hid the poodle for three months (they have a no
pets rule in Grandma's retirement village), but got caught.  So Margie, God
Bless her soul, took her in until we can get her back.  (Pray, folks, my ex
will let me take my son out of the state and back to Missouri this summer
to live.  Funny, some folks there want to get out of Missouri so darn bad,
and I'm trying like HELL to get back IN.  I guess those ol' rivers get in
your blood........)

Long and short of it.  Love your family and friends, for you don't know how
short or long you'll have them.  Love your ferrets fiercely.  Totally.  For
they ask nothing in return but your love.  Unlike people, ferrets love is
unconditional.  No matter how upset I am, my babies can make me feel
better.  Elsie (after Grandma, cause she's feisty like Grandma, kisses me
and kisses me and kisses me until I laugh).  Hubert, after my Father
(because he is so calm and laid back and holds no grudges.  Even after his
early neglected life, he is still a loving affectionate boy).  Snowball
(because he looks like a Snowball) is my little klepto and I love him and
he LOVES his Mommy.  And Pato (Angel named him.......) my snooty Major Domo
ferret (he is very arrogant, just like Higgens on the old Magnum, P.I.
show - thanks, Margie for the comparison.  If fits.  One look at that
conceited face and I can't help but smile.  He is KING and he knows it.
The kids call him "THE MAN".

And thanks, Margie, for being a friend and sister and always being there
for me.  And know, there is a special place in heaven for people like you
who are angels on earth.

Catherine, Pato, Snowball, Hubert and Elsie
"Behind The Zion Curtain"

And a special welcome to our new Bountiful neighbor and FML member, Gizmo
and his family.  Glad to have you, great to talk to you, and look forward
to meeting all of you!