From:
Mini Tafoya <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Jan 1999 00:00:18 EST
Hello everyone,

I have been playing catch up on my FML's for some time now, still only
about 2 weeks behind.  I wanted to reply regarding using oil for earmites.

First of all I have never had earmites in any of our Ferrets, but have had
many cases of earmites in my rabbits.  Having owned and shown rabbits for
the last 18 yrs, one often comes home from a show with either earmites or
furmites.  Many yrs ago I used to treat the bunnies with the oil..and it
can be plain cooking oil, to baby oil or whatever you have handy...now
motor oil I would not recommend...LOL

Using the oil in ferret ears does work I am sure...my problem with the oil
is that it takes forever to get rid of all the nasty little bugs.  Plus it
leaves a mess.  Several yrs ago I switched to Ivomec, and have never
regreted it since.  I give one shot of 0.3 cc's for a 41/2-5# rabbit once,
and within days the mites are completly gone.  No follow up is needed at
all.  The shot is given sub q, and goes right under the skin.  Anyone who
can give a shot can do this.  the ivomec can be purchased at most feed
stores and at Jeffers Vet Supply.  I use 25 ga needles, for all the Ferret
shots I give and have also used them on my Tans (rabbits).  One does need
to exercise caution, as you can overdose and kill Ferrets and rabbits alike
with this medication.  Always be sure of the dosage before you administer
anything.

Gotta get back to one of my babies as Smidgon just had surgery yesterday
(spay) and needs some TLC from mom.

Hugs to all the fuzzies out there....and prayers for the sick ones....

Mini and her gang...
Ferrets "R" Fun shelter and rescue
Albuquerque, NM