From:
Pam VanOverloop <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Jan 1999 09:21:44 EST
Pete,

You took the words right out of my mouth!  We have 17 ferrets now (not by
choice, mostly because I have a hard time saying "NO" when someone asks if
we will take their unwanted pet) BUT I would not describe any of them as
"Loving".  Lovable, curious, entertaining, delightful, playful, adorable,
tolerant, attentive, fearless, cute, charming, soft, smart, FUN.....YES!!!
One of my ferrets will climb onto my shoulder.....to jump off and out of
the playroom.  Two will lick my lips......if I've been eating recently.
The deaf ones stare at me......to see if I'm giving out treats.  One will
sit up and beg.......for the forbidden "human food".  One goes totally
floppy limp when being held....but sure doesn't volunteer to be picked up.
If I lay on the floor in the ferret playroom they climb all over me,
curious about the "big toy"....but soon lose interest and run off to play
with something else or wrestle with each other.

None of them will choose to come snuggle in my lap, I guess that's why I
also have a cat.  None of them will obey and adore me, that's why I have a
dog.

Would they be more "Loving" if I had fewer and spent more individual time
with them?  Will they mellow out and get more affectionate as they age?  I
don't know.  I just think it's not in their nature...they are too BUSY to
waste time fussing with me! <G>  I truly enjoy them as they are, but
sometimes envy the people who describe their ferret as loving...I hope
some of them answer your post too!

PamV