Date:
Sat, 22 May 1999 09:59:58 -0700
Hi--
This is in response to the anonymous poster from CA who wanted information
about Lupron.  I am guessing that you are referring to the article by Dr.
Weiss, and that is what I am writing about.

My ferret (6 1/2 year old female) Ratty has been in Dr. Weiss' study since
December.  Her symptoms at the time were: vulva swelling, hair loss and
lethargy.  She was first given the 2 breast cancer treatment medications
(at the same time), which did not have any impact.  She was then given a
shot of the long-lasting Lupron.  Within about 3 weeks, the swelling
started to go down.  Within about 6 weeks, it was gone.  Around the same
time, she started to grow new hair.  By the end of April, all of the old,
dead hair had fallen out and a new coat had grown in.  Additionally, her
energy level increased dramatically.  I had thought she was just winding
down from age, but I now believe she had become lethargic from the adrenal
disease.

She got a second shot about 5 weeks ago, and has been fine.  The only side
effect she has had from this is a lump that developed where the shot was
given.  (I wrote about that a few weeks ago, thinking it was a tumor).
Apparently, some ferrets develop a sort of mass, which shows up about 2-3
weeks after the shot and then goes away.  Hers is currently going away,
and there have been no other problems.

If my ferret is any indication, I would recommend this shot wholeheartedly
for ferrets with adrenal disease who are not good surgical candidates.  It
has greatly improved the quality of Ratty's life.  If you have any other
questions, I would recommend calling Dr. Weiss' office.  I think that he
charges these days for phone consultation, but the money goes toward the
cost of his reasearch, which I understand he is largely financing himself.

Hope this helps! Best wishes from Ann & Ratty