From:
Mary Lyn Rivamonte <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Apr 1999 18:22:00 -0400
My fiance and I found a great way to use Fun-nel connectors to make a
pretty cool ferret cage modification.  We each had a large cage for our
fuzzies (we have two each) and wanted to connect the cages together so that
the kids had more room while they were locked up.  Each of our cages was
made from 1" by 2" welded wire fencing.  We found that the connectors that
Fun-nel sells to attach the tubes to the cage snap perfectly onto a hole
cut from the welded wire mesh.  In addition the circle connector is pretty
close to a standard 4" diameter and can be connected to a variety of
tunnels.  We used the plastic flexible gutter spouts sold at Home Depot.
You can cut of the square ends and snap them together into as long a tunnel
as you'd like.  Then they snap into the connector at each cage.  In
addition, they are very sturdy and hold the shape they are bent into.  At
about $6.50 a piece its a much cheaper alternative to Fun-nel products.  We
now have the cages on opposite sides of the room with a tunnel zig-zagging
up one wall, running across the ceiling of the door, and then zig-zagging
down the other wall.  The tunnel is attached to the wall using strips of
plastic that loop around the tube and then are attached to the wall by a
screw.  The kids love the arrangement.  We have one cage set up full of
hammocks and the other with large play areas.  Both sides have plenty of
food, water, and litter boxes.  They seem to really like the freedom to
choose which cage they're in, as well as the opportunity to get away from
each other once in awhile.  Usually they still all sleep together, but
sometimes they split up into separate cages.  One warning: The kids make a
LOT of noise running back and forth between the cages.  If you are a light
sleeper you might want to set this up in another room.  Happy cage
modifying!

Mary Lyn and Steven, Gypsy, TG, Sybil, and Spiderman