From:
"Regina J. Hart" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Apr 1999 11:44:46 +0400
Hi

Regarding pesticides, I would be very careful about allowing ferrets to
walk or play on lawn areas that may have been treated with pesticides or
other chemicals.  Due to their small size, ferrets seem to be very
intolerant of harsh chemicals.  Look instead for "safe" areas like parks
or your own back yard.

Regarding coughing while eating, many ferrets seem to try to eat more
quickly than they are able to.  As a result they 'gack' as I call it.  If
it happens only while eating, I wouldn't worry too much.  Of course, always
be alert to the possibility that a piece of food has gotten caught in the
ferret's mouth or that something has gone down the wrong way.  If, on the
other hand, your ferret is coughing all of the time, see a vet.  He or she
might have an infection, cardiomyopathy, or another problem.

As for seedy poops, I don't worry much about them as long as they are
isolated instances and the ferrets are otherwise healthy, happy, and
eating well.  If you see seedy poops continuing for more than a day or so
or if your ferret does not appear well, have a vet examine the stool for
parasites (e.g. coccidia).

Happy Ferreting!
Gina Hart/Sage Ferrets
Visit the Sage Ferrets web site at