From:
Matthew Ardill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Apr 1999 09:26:19 -0400
>PPS= Why can't you use foods with by-products?  Do you know whats in hot
>dogs or McDonalds chicken nuggets?  As long as I feed a good brand of food,
>that should be okay right?

by products are neccessary in small quantities to provide calcium and other
minerals.  all by products are are parts of the animal that aren't meat:
ie, blood, bones, intestines, organs, feathers, ears, tails, etc...

a lot of people seem to think that by products are animals that are unfit
for human consumption, whereas most of the meat used in pet food is from
animals unfit for human consumption and is not labelled as by products.  a
flock of chickens who died of some bird disease would show as "chicken".

wild animals don't just eat the meat off the prey; they eat the whole
thing.  so should pets.  byproducts are only bad if there is too much for
it to be proportionate to the amount in the prey, the same as grains.

siani