From:
Tina Welsh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Apr 1999 17:45:22 -0500
Hi--First off, I want to say that my ferret is fine!  We did have a
scare on saturday though, so I wanted to write to warn everyone of
another thing that can hurt our fuzzies that I would never have thought
of ferret-proofing.

We came home from running a short errand (maybe gone 30 minutes) and found
one ferret walking around the house.  I knew something was wrong so went to
their cage and 1 ferret (Amore) was missing.  I had accidently left the
cage door open before we left-STUPID, STUPID, STUPID mistake.  Anyways we
were shaking treats,keys ect.  She never came running, then I went to the
closet, we keep our dog kennel in there (it is a big walk-in closet with a
window), and at first thought she was just sleeping but as I went closer,
noticed that she was STUCK, VERY TIGHTLY.  She had gotten her head, and
shoulders through, and all the way down to right below her ribs, but got
stuck in the belly region.  She had been struggling, but only there maybe
10 minutes.  My husband and I first thought to "grease her up" with lotion
and squirted about 1/2 a bottle on her.  This did not work.  So I sat with
her, holding her head/body, kissing her, crying and praying, while my
husband went to the hardware store to get something to cut the kennel wire.
The man at the store was so nice--he just gave him the bolt cutters and
told him to go and help his pet.  WOW, restores my faith in humanity!!  It
took about 1 minute, or less and she was out and jumping around.  We took
her to the emergency vet and everything checked out fine.  So, though I'm
sure everyone knows, NEVER underestimate what your ferrets can get in
trouble with.

A very thankful--
Tina & Amore:)