From:
Date:
Sun, 18 Apr 1999 13:44:26 -0700
>From:    Edward Lipinski Ferrets NorthWest FNW <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Last Call for Comments and Demigigas or Demi-Gigas or Demi gigas
>         or what?
>Mr. Doug McKay (as per Zen) may be credited for originating this word,
>for what does it mean?

"Demi Gigas" a two word name.  A name, nothing more.  Don't read too much
into it.  Knowing Doug, it just kind of happened.  Might have come like
many of the other names for his ferrets from his grandchildren.  Doug seems
to have thought it a good name for a ferret that was getting kind of big.
Its sounds like a name for a small thing that is gigantic...

Other names for Doug's ferrets include Pepsi, Van Halen, Winter, Road
Warrior, Tuki, Socrates.  No great pattern or scheme.  Doug isn't a great
scholar so its nothing erudite... <g>

>Does it not seem to you that we are being absurd and somewhat ignorant in
>using such terms that seem to be totally irrelevant in describing a
>somewhat murkily defined "kind" of ferret?

Its just the name of a ferret.  Its not a breed.  Its not a color.  Its not
worthy of a quest to determine hidden meanings.  Just a ferret's name.  As
I stated before, using "Demi Gigas" term to mean anything other than a
descendant of the original Demi Gigas is silly.  And with the ferrets now
so diluted through breeding its even losing meaning to use the term for
ferrets that are as little as some 1/512th genetically connected to the
original (as much as nine generations remote).

>Thus one should conclude that the prefix "demi" cannot stand alone, since
>by definition it is a prefix; hence as it appears, we have, of necessity,
>the single word
>                        "demigigas."

Speculating about it needing to be a single word might be disconcerting to
Demi Moore for example.

Its a name.

-bill
--