From:
West End Animal Hospital <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Apr 1999 09:44:30 -0800
I just had a long discussion with Dr. Weiss about his research into Lupron
as treatment for non-operable adrenal tumors, and he asked me to reiterate
a couple of points, since he rarely has time to read the FML lately.
Tracking the research and dealing with a baby on the way pretty much
consumes all his free time.

Lupron is apparently giving some wonderful results in reducing or
eliminating clinical signs, and can be a life-saving treatment for ferrets
who can't have surgery.  I have not had much occasion to use it until
lately, since I've been having excellent success with more aggressive
techniques for right adrenalectomy, which brings up an extremely important
point in the use of Lupron.  Lupron does nothing to reduce the size of the
adrenal tumor.  Please, please be aware of the implications of that.  It
is for ferrets who cannot have the surgery and should not be used as a
substitute for surgery if at all possible.

Also, please be aware of how expensive Lupron is.  One vial, which can
treat 10 ferrets, is $2200, and these injections must be given every three
months.  We don't know if the drug retains its efficacy if stored or frozen
for three months, so it's likely that a new vial must be purchased every
three months.  This cost is EXACTLY what we vets have to pay for it, with
no mark-up whatever, so bear in mind it cannot be given away forever and
many people cannot afford to give it away at all or at no profit
whatsoever.  There may be some additional mark-up to cover the handling,
processing and storing.

I hope that clears up some questions about Lupron.

Dr. K.