From:
Barbara Ludt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Apr 1999 20:43:57 -0400
[Moderator's note: This very long post was submitted in three parts (the
FML's daily limit) and combined into one.  BIG]

As a loyal subscriber to MODERN FERRET since their Premiere Issue (Jan/Feb.
1995), I recognize and applaud the contributions MF has made over the
years.  As a fledgling publication, MF provided a new and creative venue
to a growing audience needing education on a much misunderstood companion
animal the domestic ferret.

However, I do have major concerns with the most current Issue #21
(Mar/April 1999).  Only four pages into the current issue and I was shocked
with the inappropriateness of two photos published in the PINK NOSES
Ferrets and Their Friends section.  The photo of the ferret with the live
lobster on the floor with claws banded shut is, IMO, personally offensive
as it makes the lobster the subject of ridicule and gives this living Being
no dignity.  If you wish to consume lobsters, that's all well and good.
Just don't further traumatize a living creature that is about to give up
his/her life for you.  This photo was obviously used for entertainment
value only---it is not a photo of Ferrets and their Friends and, IMO,
certainly should not have been published in a family magazine.

The other truly inappropriate winning photo is that of Bo" and "Lola Bunny.
Classic predator" and "prey .  Come on, folks.  You all saw it.  Many of
you thought it (if you didn t, you SHOULD have!), but it's just not cool to
call Mary and Eric to task for poor judgment...(as evidenced by the recent
FML thread).

There was (rightful) indignation centered around the Bowtie-published book
last year with the staged photo of the ferret and the chicken and the
possible use of that picture to hurt the ferret's image (esp. the thought
of California F&G's use of said photo for their self-serving purposes).
Yet, in MODERN FERRET, the ferret Bo is quite obviously stalking the
terrified bunny Lola .  It's rather evident in both their eyes and body
language (ferret: eyes focused and stalking posture; rabbit: eyes widened
and body tense.  Compare to the other photos on the page where the animals
are mostly relaxed; ears forward, etc.)  Shame on you, MODERN FERRET, for
publishing the Bo & Lola photo!  (And the Centerfold certainly doesn't help
the ferret/bunny situation, either.)

Okay, so most of you are now thinking well, take your concerns to MODERN
FERRET.  I did.  I faxed MF the same day Issue #21 arrived and advised them
in a very brief note that I was appalled with certain of the contents of
Issue #21 and wished to cancel my subscription effective immediately.  To
MF's credit, Eric phoned me that same afternoon.  The entire situation
could have been resolved and MF could have kept a long-time subscriber by
simply acknowledging rabbits and ferrets do *not* have a history of
friendship and/or being willing to add a brief disclaimer if MF is going
to publish such photos.

However, I was told that my concerns about rabbits and ferrets was just my
opinion and that he can't go around putting disclaimers on everything other
people think is inappropriate in their magazine.  And further if I had a
problem, I should put it in writing.  Upon reflection and his apparent
closed mindedness in regard to a dangerous situation brought to his
attention, I figured a letter from me was NOT going to change this man's
mind.  He was willing to lose a loyal subscriber.  So he did.

There are exceptions to every rule and, granted, certain ferrets and
certain rabbits can and do get along .  Responsible individuals will ALWAYS
supervise any and all interactions between predator and prey species.  IMO,
this must be brought to the attention of the general public whenever such
exceptions are shown ..such as MODERN FERRET's most recent centerfold
(which Eric also saw nothing wrong with and just boasted that they are the
same animals on the Martha Stewart Show.  Sorry, I m not impressed.  Never
seen the MS Show, but if they are displaying a rabbit and a ferret together
and NOT warning people do not try this at home , Mr. Marrone (the pets
owner) is also not doing the house rabbits of the world any favors but
then, again, he sells ferrets, rabbits and other animals for a living.).
There was more than ample room on that page for a disclaimer re the unique
relationship between the pictured SPLASH (ferret) and HARVEY (rabbit).

Pictures are worth a thousand words.  How many folks will see that issue of
MODERN FERRET and now think it's just fine and dandy to put their rabbit(s)
and ferret(s) together?  Rabbits are household pets just like ferrets and
their owners get as upset over the misuse and mishandling of their bunnies
as we do our ferrets.  It would be no different than a photo showing a
ferret with a python and expecting them to be buddy-buddy.  MODERN FERRET
wouldn't go for such a picture.  And rabbits DO die of fear.  I shudder to
think how many rabbits have been/will be traumatized, maimed and even
killed as a result.

As a ferret shelter operator for almost a decade as well as over 20 years
experience with various animal rescue and rehabilitation
hospitals/organizations, I realize I may possess a wider perspective and
had hoped to share it with MODERN FERRET.  Maybe their only experience as
individual ferret owners was the relationship between SPLASH and HARVEY.
Since they are not shelter operators, they have not had to deal with irate
phone calls from folks wanting to get rid of their (now deemed) vicious
ferret RIGHT NOW!  since the ferret just injured/killed their ______ (fill
in the blank any of the following: rabbit, bird, kitten, hamster, gerbil,
rat, mouse, etc.).  The surrendered ferrets always turn out to be normal
ferrets that had been put into a situation by humans who will not accept
responsibility for their own actions (just like most of the ferrets vs.
baby attacks ) and where the ferret's inherent nature ended up in the
severe injury/death to a family pet.

Bottom line, MODERN FERRET should be more sensitive to the feelings and
well being of other animals while promoting the image of the ferret; yet
they chose to turn a deaf ear when informed of a potential problem.  If
MODERN FERRET wishes a reputation for accuracy, then they also should
accept the responsibility of providing same through both the words AND
the photographs they publish.

   [Rabbits+Ferrets and the "Opinions" of Others]

Since my opinion re rabbits and ferrets was dismissed by MODERN FERRET,
here are a few other published opinions for interested FMLers ..  (Note:
The emphasis below on RABBITS and CAUTION, etc. is mine.)

A Practical Guide To Ferret Care (second edition) by Deborah Jeans.  Page
112,
    A Ferret s Prey Ferrets are among the smallest carnivores.  They may
    be small but they can kill prey such as RABBITS weighing many times a
    ferret's weight.  The most vulnerable household pets are RABBITS,
    birds, mice, rats, hamsters, gerbils, guinea pigs and reptiles.  If
    you have any of these pets in your home, proceed with CAUTION where
    your ferret is concerned.

Ferrets: A Complete Pet Owner's Manual (second edition) by E. Lynn & Chuck
Morton.  Page 32,
    Ferrets and Other Animals Ferret play with other animals (cross-species
    interaction) is one of the most intriguing aspects of ferret behavior.
    We have heard stories from all across the country about ferret play
    with cats, parakeets, dogs, rabbits, small rodents, and other animals.
    However, care must be taken in the first few meetings between ferrets
    and their new friends.  Some do's and don'ts: DO restrain each animal
    until it is aware of the other animal or anmals.  Surprises can lead to
    TRAGEDY.  DO be prepared to separate the animals at the first sign of
    trouble.  DO be especially careful when introducing rodents.  Ferrets
    can be predators of these animals.

(Note: I realize rabbits are technically lagomorphs but the average person
still considers them in the rodent family . )

The FURO Book of Ferrets: Everything you need to know about ferrets and
their care.  Published by The Ferret Unity & Registration Org. Inc.
(FURO).  Page 36, Ferrets & Other Pets.  Sidebar: Which Species Get Along?
    WARNING!  Remember that ferrets had been bred for centuries to flush
    RABBITS and rats!  Although jills will often raise infant rodents and
    lagomorphs (i.e., rabbits), they will chase adults to death!  NEVER
    mix these species!

A Tao Full of Detours: The Behavior of the Domestic Ferret by Fara M.
Shimbo, published by FURO.  Page 99.
    10.C.  Predation and Aggression/10.D.  Releasers and Stimuli ..  As
    carnivores evolved, predatory behavior became increasingly complex
    and flexible We have seen that polecats will ignore even a known prey
    animal which is staying still, to the extent they will even run over
    it.  Movement is an extremely important releaser of predatory behavior
    in a number of species where predation and aggression are linked ..
    In ferrets, running at any speed won'tdo: Ferrets (possibly innately)
    follow prospective prey moving preferably at speeds of 25cm/sec to
    45cm/sec, about equal to the escape speed of mice .  (Apfelbach &
    Wester, 1977).  This is not to say that they are following specifically
    to prey on something companion ferret owners the world over have noted
    that their ferrets following ANYTHING that moves ..In ferrets and
    polecats, the actual killing bite is innate in both its performance and
    where it is placed .i.e., the necks of rodents and other animals ...
    How does this all apply to companion ferrets?  I have several cats
    who often bring me presents including rabbits .About [?] of the time,
    these animals are alive and though somewhat traumatized, essentially
    unharmed.  If I am not available to receive this tribute, the cats
    generally just dump them on the bed, where the ferrets inevitably find
    them..  In almost every case, my ferrets will grab whatever it is by
    the neck (or in the case of the snakes, by whichever end is moving),
    think for a couple of seconds, and let the thing go.  They may then
    Weasel Wardance at it and attempt to get them to play.  When the
    animals run, they are of course chased.  I have seen the archetypical
    stoated RABBIT when the rabbits just smell the ferrets, they freeze, as
    if in shock.  Usually in about an hour, they give what appears to be a
    hiccough, fall over onto their sides and DIE, no matter WHAT you do to
    bring them out of it (and I have stayed up many late nights trying to
    save these animals)."

(To those of you relatively new to ferrets, the above was written by Faro
M. Shimbo, one of THE leading experts in ferrets and their behaviors.  Her
in-depth research into same resulted in her above-quoted book, A TAO FULL
OF DETOURS (still available through FerretWare (http://www.ferretware.com).)

Oh, and last, but certainly not least, there's  ..

"The Ferret: An Owner's Guide to A Happy Healthy Pet by Mary R.
Shefferman, Page 110.  Sidebar FERRET FRIENDS

    Ferrets are sociable animals and tend to become great friends with dogs
    and cats (I wish there was more of a warning here about some dogs
    extreme aggressiveness toward ferrets but that's only my opinion and
    it's not my book) ...AND FERRET ENEMIES  Ferrets will naturally hunt
    rodents, so it's not a good idea to keep your ferret with guinea pigs,
    gerbils, hamsters or mice.  Other small animals like chincillas and
    RABBITS might prove too tempting as well.

Oh, MY! .So, Mary and Eric DO know better, don't they?

Lastly, from my point of view, the problem goes a lot deeper than
publishing inappropriate photos showing ferrets and rabbits together.
As another FMLer more eloquently wrote recently (on a totally different
subject), if you don't see a problem, but others PERCEIVE a problem.  You
still have a problem.

Mary's FML post re MF being perfectly willing to take readers suggestions
Unfortunately, hat has not been my experience with MODERN FERRET.  There's
a lot of finger-pointing in Issue #21 and in both Mary's Page and the
Sidebar on Medical Accuracy calling to task other editors not prompted to
make corrections , MF's competition publishing an article containing
dangerous information, the spreading of misinformation by someone the
general public regards as an animal expert , goal at MF to get correct
information about ferrets out to everyone , It is the editor's
responsibility to ensure that the information being published is correct ,
and how in 1999 we have to figure out how to get better positive publicity
for ferrets.

I totally agree with all that Mary wrote and it was good writing on her
part.  BUT if this applies to other publications, it applies to MODERN
FERRET as well.  MF was not prompted to make corrections; MF published a
dangerous photo; as ferret experts to the general public MF spread
misinformation through photographs; the MF editor didn't ensure that the
information (photo) is an accurate depiction, and once California F&G gets
their hands on Issue #21 and uses the Bo & Lola photo to once again, prove
their case against our beloved ferrets and/or local media around the
country start picking up on stories of pet ferrets killing pet rabbits
..surely, MF has NOT helped get better positive publicity for ferrets in
1999.

Further, Mary wrote about two weeks of minimal sleep to produce their
magazine (that unfortunate aspect of producing a quality magazine is
standard operating procedures 365-days-a-year at most Shelters) and .we
don't have financial backing and our butts are on the line ---every which
way: financially, emotionally, physically, you name it can also be echoed
by every ferret Shelter operator I know.  Shelter operators take on
FINANCIAL responsibility of abandoned, abused, injured, ill and old ferrets
every day.  Shelter operators take on the extreme EMOTIONAL responsibility
of the neglected, starved, flea-infested, maimed, bleeding, cancer-ridden,
sick and dying ferrets every day.  And Shelter operators take on the
awesome PHYSICAL responsibility of operating rescues dedicated to the
survival of individual ferrets.

While making a profit is nothing to begrudge MODERN FERRET, I hope someday
they will be able to afford to include free listings for Shelters as does
the FERRETS USA ANNUAL.  Fancy Publications is not ALL BAD either!  Why
even MODERN FERRET does, in fact, realize the targeted market their
competition reaches and advertises quite consistently in both FERRETS and
FERRETS USA.

Some of the ferret community's best and brightest do, in fact, continue to
submit excellent articles for FERRETS and FERRETS USA including Thomas R.
Willard, Ph.D., Troy Lynn Eckert, Jeanne Carley, Alicia Drakiotes, Karen
Rosenthal, DVM, etc.  The writing fees they receive from Fancy Publications
shouldn't be denied them for the wealth of information they share with
readers of the other magazines.  It's more than likely those funds were
used to help promote and/or save ferrets because that's what all those
folks do.  Would those who accuse the above of going to the other side
prefer that those who DON T know about ferrets dispense ferret information
to the public?

Yes, this subject did push my button , too .but only after mostly
relatively one-sided comments.  Unfortunately, most of the FMLers who wrote
proved one of the original poster's points.  We tend to gang up on someone
who has the courage to submit a different point of view.  After decades of
experience in animal rescue/rehabilitation, I know I tend to try to get in
there and help the underdog .a character flaw of mine, I guess.  And unless
I m mistaken, the original poster did indicate that s/he chooses to
purchase ALL the magazines---in order to benefit from what EACH had to
offer.

And, further, I also realize my own response is also based on a recent
negative experience with MODERN FERRET.  I just hope others will understand
that, if you can step back from the emotionalism this subject has brought
to the surface, that perhaps MF has, indeed, in this instance set forth a
dangerous precedent for both rabbits and ferrets who would then be
mislabeled mean and needlessly surrendered to an already overburdened
ferret shelter system (or suffer a worse fate!).

This was a golden opportunity for MODERN FERRET to acknowledge the attaboys
from their readers and thereby realize for the most part they are doing a
good job and have created their own niche.  But being #1 holds you to a
higher standard, too and in order for MF to maintain their momentum, they
might consider addressing some of the weaknesses pointed out to become an
even better magazine and, maybe eventually, bring those others into the
fold with less self-promotions and being more open to customer complaints.

If Eric and Mary are truly what so many of you believe them to be, when all
the dust settles from this current discussion , I m still hoping that
MODERN FERRET will somehow be encouraged to accept constructive criticism
when warranted, do what they can to resolve the problem professionally and
continue to produce a creative (if somewhat too quirky at times) ferret
magazine---and with as much accuracy as is humanly possible.

For The Ferrets and Other Critters,
Barbara J. Ludt, Director
NE Florida Branch/SOUTH FLORIDA FERRET CLUB & RESCUE, INC.
Visit our website at:  http://www.miamiferret.org