From:
"Regina J. Hart" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Apr 1999 19:12:03 -0400
Hello

Yesterday I incorrectly cited Modern Ferret as having published a
photograph showing "a ferretry where ferret excrement was literally piled
beneath the breeding cages."  In fact, this photo appeared in Ferrets USA
Annual, 1998, Page 66.  Both Ferrets USA Annual magazine and the breeder
in question should be ashamed.  I offer my most sincere apologies to Mary
and Eric for my mistake.

The point that I was trying to make, however, should not be lost.  Namely
Modern Ferret, an enjoyable and informative publication, is not
infallable.*

On the other hand, Ferrets does publish a lot of great material;** and,
yes, it does make mistakes too.  In neither case should you throw out the
baby with the bathwater.  No magazine is ever going to be "perfect."
Subscribe to both, and use your brain and your ability to research other
resources to weed out the garbage.

* In lieu of the photo that I incorrectly attributed to Modern Ferret, I
will offer this substitute.  Modern Ferret #17, Page 31 "Funny Ferret
Tricks" features a picture that isn't funny in the least.  It depicts a
ferret leaning into a washing machine for a drink.  I don't think I need
to elaborate on the problems with this scenario.  The most recent issue of
Modern Ferret (#21) likewise contains a handful of non-exemplary photos-
pgs.  4-5 show ferrets interacting with large dogs, a rabbit, and other
animals with no mention of the possible harm to either the ferret or the
other animals.  Page 36 features two ferrets playing with a roll of toilet
paper- how many times have people written to the FML to tell a toilet paper
roll horror story?  The page 38 centerfold shows a ferret and a rabbit in
proximity- not very safe for the rabbit!  On page 45, you will find one
photo of a ferret with its head in a rubber glove (a blockage waiting to
happen) and another photo showing a ferret in a box of packing peanuts (I
know that those are the cornstarch ones, but does everyone?).

As an aside- In yesterday's FML, I prompted both magazines to pay more
attention to being sure that the photoed ferrets' nails are clipped.  Mary
Shefferman wrote me back privately to ask rather curtly where I have ever
seen long nails in Modern Ferret.  I didn't have to look very long or hard
to find an example.  Take a look at the centerfold in Issue #21.  Splash's
nails need a trimming!

** For example, the "Your Ferret's Body" series is very informative.  Erik
a Matulich, Ph.D. writes well-researched articles.  In the most recent
issue, Pam Troutman wrote a great column about stress in ferrets.

My purpose in bringing up these photos is NOT to "bash" Modern Ferret.  I'm
sure with a little effort, I could find a similar crop of disturbing photos
in Ferrets.  My desire is to illustrate the point that Modern Ferret is not
infallable, and neither the readers nor the authors will benefit by being
self-righteous or having a better-than-thou attitude.  I've admitted my
mistake- now it's your turn.

Sincerely,
Gina Hart