From:
JT Speikn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Apr 1999 13:41:12 -0800
>From:    Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: ferret hiaku

>1.  Of COURSE it isn't like human hiaku; we are word-marionettes here.
>Well, maybe not me since I haven't submitted any, but our FML town-folk
>are, and the ferrets who control them will agree!  (Hey, printed words
>protect the originals; there's no harm in a touch of evolution into this
>weird, isolated, mutant form which might not soar but certainly bops
>magnificently.  ;-0)

I never said that the the haikus on FML are BAD or UNIMAGINATIVE, or
anything of that matter.  It just seemed to me that many people didn't know
the true beauty of Haiku since the _majority_ of them were cute and funny
(which is not bad), and had no qualities of the traditional sentiments.
I don't care who "agrees" and who doesn't "agree" like you seem to be
concerned with.  I don't hold anything personal with "a touch of evolution"
as you put it, but I think it's very important that people know what
they're putting their time and creativity into - what haiku really is.

For example, I liked Sandy Repper's haiku and Bev's, since it reflected
more on the subtleness of haiku.  They incorporated seasons in it, and
that makes a lot of difference.

It's sad to see one culture being completely twisted around to fit another,
when that process of "twisting" results in a loss of original beautiful
qualities.  That's not "evolution" but rather a "replacement".

This might not have anything directly related to ferrets, but since there
were so many ferret haikus, I wanted to voice my opinion.

JT & Rena
Trina the unpredictable lapferret
Silver the weiner dooker getting-there lapferret