From:
Joyce Snyder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Mar 1999 19:19:35 -0500
This is only my second post on the FML and we have only been on the list
for 2 months so this may have been addressed before.

Does anyone else think that numbering the posts in the digest to correspond
with the numbers at the beginning of the list would be a good idea?  I know
that they do this on the FAIML.  We love reading the entire digest but some
days because of the time factor, we would like to read certain articles in
the morning before work and it would make it easier to go directly to them
if they were numbered.  Also, due to the age<G> factor I would find it
easier to pick them out by number also.  Just a thought and I don't know
if it is possible to set it up in this fashion without being a problem.

Love to all fuzzies everywhere.
Joyce and the 6 fuzzies

[Moderator's note: It's a pretty commonly asked question actually.  There
are a couple of problems though.  For one, the digest standard (RFC 1241 or
something... I forget the number) doesn't cover that.  And for another, the
table of contents is only a list of topics -- i.e. if there are multiple
posts with the same subject they are only listed once in the contents.

That being said, I still *do* think it's a good idea.  But because it's
not covered by the digest standard, the software used for the FML doesn't
support it.  One day I may modify it to number them anyhow... I dunno...
I've been thinking about it.

Thanks to everyone who has suggested this -- and anything else.  Your
suggestions are always appreciated.  BIG]