From:
Date:
Sat, 20 Mar 1999 09:36:35 -0800
>From:    Edward Lipinski <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Yeast in the Ferret's Diet

I had commented to Diane how your FML post on YtoK was amusing, then I
read this.

>Until such time as the cause of ECE is proven, it would be better to
>refrain from stating that its source is a "virus."  Such reference seems
>to perpetuate another ignorant myth concering ferret health.

It is a virus.  It is proven well enough.  A very specific isolating of it
is not as important as watching how it passes and other traits to point
out very very clearly that it is a virus.  You have before posted that you
think ECE is some sort of dietary problem, but its not.  However better
diet will lead to a stronger animal which in turn leads to a stronger
immune system and hence more resistance to viral infections.  It may well
be that your ferrets' diet despite what some would consider flaws does
provide enough good nutrition to keep your ferrrets' immune systems up to
snuff.  Or you have avoided exposure enough that your ferrets have not
become infected.

Some ferrets seem to be more resistant, ours for example have been exposed
but were able to resist.  But since we don't use any of your dietary
approaches your techniques are not the magic answer.  They seem to work for
you and your ferrets but they are not the only dietary approach with a good
track record.

Ours that have been exposed have also proven to not be carriers either.
The only ferrets that were affected were those that came from another
shelter infected.  Still upset with that shelter for recklessly spreading
the disease since she KNEW they were infected but had us infect our ferrets
anyway.

-bill
--
bill and diane killian