Date:
Thu, 18 Mar 1999 09:55:08 -0500
HI Shelley,

Thanks that post-- you know I have had ferrets here that required ovaban--
for different purposes-- it is so wonderful to know\ it can ba substituted
for adrenal ferrets as well!

shelters might lie another ovaban usage tip:

Ovaban is very helpful when female ferrets have been in estrus for some
time-- and need to be spayed-- Of course putting the jill with a
vasectomized hob or having the ferret injected with HCG ( Human Choronic
(sp?) Gonadatrophin) is required but after a week then surgery can be
performed ( I prefer the 42 day wait so hormones are regulated---) if the
spay needs to be immediate however-- dosing a regimen of ovaban -- your
vet should be familiar it is a tapered dosage program.  Does regulate the
bizarre hormonal swings the female will exhibit after her reproductive
organs are removed.  This can last for up to 3 months untreated and include
unprovoked biting etc.  The ferrets are very in synch with their hormonal
message( I think that is what they are saying as they cling after a spay)!!

All kidding aside this has been observed here to be a saving grace for
females who were in estrus too long and required immediate spays to shield
aplastic anemia- so my suggestion is to consult your vet if this is an
avenue you may want to try!

Alicia