From:
Camilla Englund <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Mar 1999 00:28:44 PST
Jessica Farris wrote:
>I have been to an allergist and tested positive that I was allergic to
>dust mites, and cats, among other things.  So, I am a little worried about
>getting a ferret.  People at the pet stores have told me there is know way
>to be sure if I am allergic to ferrets because I am allergic to cats, and
>the allergist doesn't have a test for ferrets.  So you say I should just
>hold one and see, but with cats I don't get a reaction unless I am exposed
>to them for a long period.  So what do I do?  Is ferret and cat fur
>similar?

The allergen for cats and ferrets are not similar, but there is still no
guarantee.  I am allergic to cats, dogs, and some pollen.  I have made a
test and I am NOT allergic to ferrets.  BUT - I have met people that are
allergic to ferrets, some are allergic to other things, some only to
ferrets.  There is NO WAY to know in advance!

I don't know how things work where you live, but here in Sweden, even
though allergy tests for ferrets are not standard in any way, when I asked
for it, the doctor took a bloodsample that was sent to a laboratory that
has the means to test allergies against everything.  I advice you to ask
around until you find someone that can do a test to be sure.

Good luck!

Millan