From:
Jean Turanski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Mar 1999 17:16:02 EST
Hi everyone!

After surgeries, blood tests, ultrasounds, antibiotic treatment,
antihistamine therapy, natural/herbal shampoos, my little Lindsi's
problems, although not serious in the sense of a life threatening
situation, have not responded.

In a nutshell -

She had adrenal surgery last May '98.  75% of the left adrenal (carcinoma)
was removed, the right adrenal untouched.  8 months later, she began
showing symptoms of adrenal problems again - or so we thought.  A second
surgery revealed the right adrenal had atrophied leaving Lindsi with only
25% of the remaining left adrenal.  She has been experiencing intense
bodily itching (even before the first surgery) but moreso prior to and
since the second operation.  Most of the hair along her back is gone or
extremely thin.  She also has had a vaginal green discharge, since
immediately before the second surgery, which has been treated with oral and
topical antibiotics but has not responded.  This infection does not appear
to cause her any discomfort only that it 'is there'.

She aggressively exhibits a sexual interest in her brother and sister,
quite frequently sniffing posteriors and dogging or shadowing them wherever
they go.  She is active and eats well (thank the ferret gods for that) but
I know she is not quite the Lindsi she used to be.

My veterinarian has talked to both Dr. Williams and Dr. Weiss with all the
specifics and they have suggested Leupron/Leuprolide.  Now, the problem -
this stuff is expensive!  My vet has called around to pharmacies and so far
3.75 mg of the drug costs $500.

Does anybody out there in 'ferretland' know of any sources for this drug
that MIGHT be a little less expensive?  Has anybody had a ferret with these
same 'problems'?  If so, what did you do?  I am willing to help Lindsi all
I can, but I have to be practical too.  Please e-mail me with any info you
may have, I will greatly appreciate it!

Thanks to all!

Jean

Lindsi.......'Mommy, this itching is driving me nuts!'
Jodi and Kodi.........'Mommy, Lindsi is driving US nuts!'