From:
Derek J MacDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Mar 1999 11:55:26 -0400
I'm having difficulty understanding the following two posts (excerpts
below):

>Yes I do know what it's like to loose a much loved pet, and if I do again
>while subscribing to this list I won't be posting about it.  I also
>understand how many of you find 'skeeter' helpfull in your time of greif.
>But maybe the suggestion of 'skeeter' mailing privately his condolances
>would be much easier on the eyes of the many who don't enjoy him so much.

>The Master does his communications to individuals.  Would it not be more
>appropriate to write the individual who lost the ferret than to the "mass
>mailings". Is it that you don't have time to send a condolence to the
>individual but have time to make notarity?

My confusion is actually more of a conceptual issue, and does not arise
because of the poor grammar and misspelled words.  You see, I've been
wondering why someone who's against "mass mailings" would subscribe to a
mailing list in the first place.

As for the Skeeter issue, I think most of us can agree that it's infinitely
easier to be negative, opinionated and critical than to be creative and
constructive.  Although I've never actually paid attention to them until
recently, the posts from Skeeter appear to be the result of the creative
efforts of a good natured individual with a genuine concern for those who
have lost a pet.  The author maintains anonymity, which is characteristic
of any truly charitable act.  The cause is noble, and the posts are
thoughtful, well-meaning and sometimes poignant.  Failure of those who
disagree with these posts to simply ignore them demonstrates lack of
self-discipline.  The suggestion that the posts be discontinued is nothing
more than a vote for censorship.  Would you call you local newspaper and
suggest that they stop printing stories about issues that you don't agree
with?

Personally, I'd skip the articles in question, or stop buying the newspaper
altogether.

I would suggest that it's time to (voluntarily) put this entire issue to
rest.  Not because it doesn't merit debate, but because it's brought a
confrontational / adversarial tone to this wonderful list that hasn't been
present in the past.  For those who don't agree with Skeeter, let him go on
about his business and simply exercise the self-control any reasonable
adult should be capable of.

Derek
Derek J MacDonald