From:
Helen Chuang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Mar 1999 09:39:07 EST
I too, would like to see the original references citing that BHT and BHA
are carcinogenic.  Until then, however, I am taking NO chances with the
health of my fuzzy girl.  I have lost two beloved friends (my cat and pet
rat) to cancer in the past, and it was a horrible ordeal for all concerned.

If these chemical preservatives are truly linked to cancer, then I am
HORRIFIED.  I am horrified because last year, when I first adopted my
little girl, Felicia, I was persuaded by a pet store clerk to buy
Ferretone, which Felicia loves as a treat, and which I now realize has BHT.
I am ALSO horrified because Felicia and I recently went on an outing to
another pet store, where a clerk gave us a free sample of Marshall's food.
I have been feeding Felicia Eukanuba Kitten food (which has all natural
preservatives and was highly recommended by my vet) since she was a kit,
but she seemed to like the Marshall's sample, so I have been giving her a
bit of it now and then mixed in with her Eukanuba.  After reading the
recent postings, I also now realize that Marshall's food has BHA.  So IF
BHT and BHA DO cause cancer, then I'm sure that a lot of unsuspecting new
ferret owners like me have been taken unaware and have been persuaded to
buy products with these chemicals.  Well no matter what, I am taking no
chances with Felicia's welfare, and I have thrown out the Ferretone and the
Marshall's food.  I know that my prior ignorance was no excuse -- I only
hope it is not too late.

If someone could answer this question for me then: What can I use instead
of Ferretone?  I've been using it as a training aid to reinforce her using
of the litterbox in the bathroom when she runs around during the day.  But
I've gotten rid of it, and I'd hate to see her start pooping elsewhere :-o
Thanks in advance for any advice.

On a less business-oriented note, I never thought I'd someday own a ferret,
but upon first seeing and playing with Felicia, I fell in love.  She
compelled me to do a lot of research on ferrets, after which I brought her
home.  She's been nothing but a joy.  She's a silver-mitt, and when she
was a kit, she had big ears and a BIG pink nose.  At 6-mo's old, she's now
2-lbs and still has that adorable big nose, which allows her to do MUCH
nosing around.  She has the sweetest temperament, has never been nippy in
the least, and is intelligent, rambunctious, and affectionate all rolled
into one.  I'm in graduate school and currently writing up my dissertation
(she's sleeping in my desk drawer right now in what I used to think was a
bizarre position, but now realize is normal for ferrets), so I have been
fortunate to have been able to work at home and spend lots of time with her
since adopting her.  What charming creatures they are -- I am certainly
charmed.

Helen, proud mom of Felicia

p.s.  Thanks to the FML.  I just found out about it, started subscribing
this week, and find it very helpful.