From:
Friends of Fuzzies <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Mar 1999 11:43:01 -0800
On this topic.....I would love to hear more talk on Innova.  It has NO
perservetives or chemical aditives.  Also add to that...Rice Flour found in
many pet foods (including top ones such as Totally Ferret) is so processed
that there is no nutricional value.  I found it interesting that Innova
only uses whole grains.  Also there is a diff between Poultry by-product
meal and Chicken by-product meal.  The poultry one can come from any bird
source.  Chicken comes from chicken and is more regulated.  As well as it
is more consitant in nutrients.  As you said it is typical to use
euthinized animals in pet food, it's also typical to use resturaunt Grease,
yuck.  It spoils and even though they cook it, I know I wouldn't want to
eat it.  You also find liver in many pet foods.  Usually there to help the
taste of it.  Unfortunetly the liver is where all the toxins are filtered
and with all the hormones and other nasties fed animals the last thing you
want to feed your animal is liver.

I often wonder why Innova is never talked about, it has high protein and
high fat, and contains only human quality foods, as well as whole grains.
I believe some people worry because they use whole potatoes and other
veges/grains in it.  My thought on this is, many other companies use
processed grains and most likely less meat when you concider what the meat
sources are.  Innova has very good meat sources, so I would assume they are
actually more of it in the long run.

I would love to hear your ideas on this.  Since I haven't heard much about
Innova as far as ferrets are concerned, I can't say for sure that it is a
good food for them.  Any comments would be welcome.  At our shelter we use
a mix of Iams kitten and Innova, Iams having more fat and Innova having
more Protien.  Again, I'm not an expert with these things, but I just like
whats in Innova better than the rest.  I don't like all the "poultry" in
Iams and totally ferret.  I would rather know exactly where the nutrients
are coming from.  When you see "poultry" fat, it's many times coming from
resteraunt grease.  If a company says a specific source then it must be
from just that, being that it can't come from a grease pit at a resteraunt,
because it can't be regulated.  Be the truth be known, I don't believe any
of the foods are perfect for our ferts.  I'm not bashing TF either, I think
it's better than most, my question is...Is it really the Best we can do for
our Fuzzies?  Would you want your children to eat the ingrediants in there?
Are you sure that nothing in there is questionalble.  Again, I don't think
Innova is perfect either.  I personally don't think the best has been yet
made.

Innova first 7 ingrediants list:Turkey, Chicken Meal, Chicken, Whole
Steamed Potatoes, Whole Eggs, Ground Barley, Chicken Fat, Min. Protien 36%
min. fat 20%

Iams Kitten first 7 list: Chicken By-Product Meal, Chicken, Rice Flour,
Ground Corn, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols and Citric
Acid), Dried Egg Product, Dried Beet Pulp, Poultry Digest min. Protien 34%
min. fat 22%

Totally ferret first 7: Poultry By-product, Rice Flour, Poultry Fat,
natural vit. E, whole eggs, corn meal, herring meal Min. Protien 36%
Min fat 22%

Dooks to all,
Kristine, Bear, Syvia, Moby and Sid

Friends Of Fuzzies Ferret Shelter
Bend, OR
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Farm/2057

Help Friends of Fuzzies every time you browse or shop on-line-at no
cost to you.  Just begin by clicking here
http://www.igive.com/html/ssi.cfm?cid=3909&mid=33722