From:
Purple Cow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Feb 1999 11:35:51 -0500
I can't remember who it was but someone posted about Petsmart considering
selling ferrets.  I of course was properly outraged and immediately began
writing a letter in my head that would hopefully convince them to think
otherwise.  I complained to my husband about it with the attitude of "how
dare they."  Petsmart claims to care about cats and dogs but not ferrets?
Then my husband got me thinking.  I live in an area of Maryland where you
don't see ferrets in pet stores.  We had to drive to a town an hour away
when we bought our little boy and the people at the pet store told us they
had trouble keeping enough ferrets to meet the demand.  There aren't any
overcrowded shelters in this area either if I want to think about getting
another little one.  But I realize it's different in other cities.  In
other cities ferrets are everywhere and the shelters are overcrowded.  So
rather than tell Petsmart not to sell ferrets at all, why not ask them to
make a decision on a state by state or city by city level?  In the places
where the shelters are overcrowded why not have shelter operators contact
the company and arrange for adoption days just like they do with the cats
and dogs?  I realize this is already done in some areas but possibly not as
much as is needed or wanted.  In the cities where there is a "shortage" of
ferrets have the store personnel be trained in handling the animals.  Have
volunteers work with the employees to train them in how to care for them.
Create fact sheets to be given out to the new parents, brouchures to make
them consider whether this is the right pet or not.  In all likelihood if a
big corporation makes up it's mind to do something you can't stop them but
maybe you can work with them to make it beneficial for everyone involved.

~Liz~
ICQ#24420186
http://www.geocities.com/SouthBeach/2469/liz.html