From:
"Cox, Sherry" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Jan 1999 13:44:59 -0500
Mark and Cathey,
It sounds like you are doing about all a person can do to keep a nice clean
ferret house.  The only thing I'd add is regular ear cleaning, because the
wax build up in their ears can be REALLY smelly.  One thing that most
people don't realize, though, is that ferrets have several times in their
life when their smell is naturally stronger.  These times include being
'in season' for both males (especially) and females.  One of the other
times a ferret seems to be more *aromatic* is during it's early life, up
until about 12-16 weeks.  I would assume it's for the same reason as 'in
season' ferrets, so the interested parties can find them easier, although
in this case it would be mom, rather than a mate.  So, hang in there, add a
regular schedule of ear cleaning (we do it about once a week) and try to
not bathe them too often, as it dries out their skin, which makes them
produce *MORE* oil.  As they get a little older, you should notice a
decrease in the atmosphere.

Happy Dooks,
Sherry