From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Jan 1999 12:20:49 -0500
Because someone else posted that in that person's case colloidal silver
would not be tried even as a last resort, I just had to note that we
probably would try it as a last resort IF other things had already failed,
and the illness was severe enough (pretty well self-defined by "last
resort" but bears emphasizing), and the treating vet felt that the risks
might be well enough offset by any possible benefits.  Steve and I would
not use it causually or chronically, though.  At this point we just don't
think there is the kind of good, hard evidence that any possible benefits
might offset the potential risks so we don't see what we require to be
willing to chance it.  Basically, I guess that what I am saying is that
we'd utilize the same level of respect that we would give any other
experimental (i.e. insufficiently documented) drug, because this IS an
experimental drug as long as it remains this undocumented.  We've used
experimental medications on the past -- both of the "natural" and
"manufactured" varieties, but we have to have extenuating circumstances to
chance them.  We'd use the same care in this case.  Please, note that there
are no studies of its use in ferrets, that there are well known potential
hazards in humans -- whose rate for ferrets would need to be known, that
there could be ferret-specific cautions, that there may be certain cases in
which it would be contra-indicated, that the level of quality of some of
the studies is in question, etc.  As with other experimental drugs we have
no problem with hoping that documentation winds up taking place at some
point in time.  Since most of you already know that our pet projects
involve the bettering of ferret medical care it won't surprise you that we
think ANYTHING ferrets wind up having used on them should at some point be
rigorously studied (well and critically) in ferrets by knowledable
professionals to check the safety, value, and hazards.  In large part many
aspects of ferret medicine are still huge mysteries; it's up to each of us
to help see that there are funds and impetus to study ferret health issues
in a sufficient fashion.  That's just our way of looking at it after
evaluating the evidence, so take it or leave it as you will.