From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Dec 1998 09:54:54 -0800
>... I mean the conditions that this shelter runner thinks that she is
>saving them from are in most cases better than the conditions they have
>to live in at the shelter.

The scenario this person paints is, unfortunately, way too common.  I was
a good samaritan also and found that my help only encouraged the shelter
operator to breed and collect *more* ferrets (I'm talking dozens and dozens
per year!) since they no longer had to take responsibility for their
"shelter".

BTW, my definition of a collector is someone who routinely keeps the most
adoptable animals that come into the shelter as their own (I'm not talking
about the hard to place animals that become part of the shelter owners
heart and home).  I find this offensive *only* when the person does not
have time to give all the animals proper care - such as daily exercise and
mental stimulation (outside a cage), daily human interaction and love,
daily cleaning of the litter pans, food & water at all times, regular ear
cleanings and checks for mites, grooming, etc.  (those *basic* ferret
needs).

The whole idea about debating shelters is that there are many ways shelters
can be improved.  With a little help from the ferret community, most of the
bad shelters can become good, the good shelters can become great, and the
top notch shelters can take pride in their operation.

Why can't this shelter debate focus on those issues and *quit* making
personal attacks?  Bob Church has seen hundreds of shelters.  THERE ARE
PROBLEMS!  Let's find a way to fix these problems.  Let's brainstorm!

Does anyone have any suggestions about how can we fix the shelters that
have problems but don't want to change, such as the one Pippy described?

[FO]